[vox-tech] Two Install Questions

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Sat Mar 12 07:12:18 PST 2011

1) looks like an empty, formatted hard disk. "lost+found" is a normal part of the formatting of a partition that is used by fsck to put files in during recovery. It is normally owned by root in case the file (s) stored there had been private to the user.

2) I made a similar decision last year.
DCN:<jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us> Basics: ##.#. ##.#. Live Go...
Live: OO#.. Dead: OO#.. Playing

Bob Scofield <scofield at omsoft.com> wrote:

I've been running Kubuntu Hardy on my laptop and desktop. I've frozen myself at KDE 3.5. But some updates ruined Kubuntu on my laptop and I installed Ubuntu 10.10 on the laptop. Because I like it so much, I've decided to install Unbuntu 10.10 on my desktop. This has led to two questions. 1) During the install I am told that I have a partition called "dev/sdb1" in ext3. I had no idea what that could be. So I aborted the install, and went into Kubuntu to find out. dev/sdb1 was not mounted. But by executing "fdisk -l" I got this: Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System /dev/sdb1 1 1306 10490413+ 83 Linux So I mounted it to see what it was. It's an empty directory called "lost+found." What is that there? What does lost+found do? Why do I need it? 2) During my laptop install I was given the choice of ext3 or ext4. Given my level of expertise, I'd never heard of ext4. By Googling, I learned that ext4 came out in 2008. So you can see where I'm at. I didn't see any negative comments a
 bout
ext4 so I used it. I'll have the same choice when I install on my desktop. I assume that ext4 is the best choice. Is that right? Thank you. Bob_____________________________________________