[vox-tech] Two Install Questions

Bob Scofield scofield at omsoft.com
Sat Mar 12 06:56:08 PST 2011

I've been running Kubuntu Hardy on my laptop and desktop.  I've frozen myself
at KDE 3.5.  But some updates ruined Kubuntu on my laptop and I installed
Ubuntu 10.10 on the laptop.  Because I like it so much, I've decided to
install Unbuntu 10.10 on my desktop.  This has led to two questions.

1)  During the install I am told that I have a partition called "dev/sdb1" in
ext3.  I had no idea what that could be.  So I aborted the install, and went
into Kubuntu to find out.  dev/sdb1 was not mounted.  But by
executing "fdisk -l" I got this:

/dev/sdb1               1        1306    10490413+  83  Linux

So I mounted it to see what it was.  It's an empty directory
called "lost+found."

What is that there?  What does lost+found do?  Why do I need it?

2)  During my laptop install I was given the choice of ext3 or ext4.  Given my
level of expertise, I'd never heard of ext4.  By Googling, I learned that
ext4 came out in 2008.  So you can see where I'm at.

I didn't see any negative comments about ext4 so I used it.  I'll have the
same choice when I install on my desktop.  I assume that ext4 is the best
choice.  Is that right?

Thank you.

Bob