[vox-tech] Can't reach a specific subnet

Shwaine shwaine at shwaine.com
Sat Jun 18 15:47:44 PDT 2011

Any luck on resolving this or is it still an issue? I notice both domain
names resolve to the same IP (169.237.167.248) and I cannot traceroute to
that IP right now. It stops at the router 128.120.7.174.

Keep in mind it is summer and that is the time of all things "deferred
maintenance" (aka the stuff they don't want to do during the term as it
might break things when people need the systems for courses and grading)
at many a state university. I work at a CSU and the entire campus was
offline two nights ago and very laggy yesterday as they worked on network
maintenance in the break between Spring and Summer quarters. You might
want to check if there was network maintenance scheduled the weekend you
noticed the issue.

You should also verify that the DNS->IP mapping is correct. This stands
out to me as a likely culprit, as it would allow your existing connection
(using the correct IP address) to continue working while preventing any
new connections (since they'd be using the incorrect IP address). If you
don't know what the correct IP addresses are and you still have the
existing connection open, use /sbin/ifconfig to get the information. If
you closed the existing connection, you'll need to physically go to the
machines and run that command on the local console. Compare the IP
addresses to what dig <domain_name> returns. If there's a mismatch, you'll
need to contact IT about sorting it out.