[vox-tech] CalDAV

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat Jul 2 13:13:51 PDT 2011

It's super-funky homebrew php.

Each event, listed in a php file, makes a func call that passes along
the args about the event (title, date, url, descr, etc.)

The func that actually gets called varies dep. on the viewer
(e.g., homepage, calendar page, ical)  Very funky & backwards, I know.
I would not design it that way if I were to start again. :)

The ical files are actually produced by the webservedr, via a links -dump
invocation from within a Makefile.

Yes, insane! I know! But it works & I have had almost no reason to change it
;)

We have a web maint. how-to floating around somewhere
(apologies; emailing via cellphone from a toy store :) ) which explains
a litlte of this.

A db is not a bad solution, but for less headache & portability, I'd just
do tab-delim'd text files or something else insanely easy to read (human)
and parse (script). :)

-bill!

On Sat, Jul 02, 2011 at 01:18:42AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Alex Mandel (tech_dev at wildintellect.com):
>
> > You are aware of http://www.lugod.org/calendar/lugod-only.ics
> > Other options on:
> > http://www.lugod.org/calendar/
>
> I'm curious:  How is that data generated and maintained?  And how is the
> RSS+XML generated?  Is the code available?
>
> I have my own calendar (BALE) back-ended by a custom MySQL
> setup that has events, event templates, and groups tables.
> The data are served to the Web dynamically by a PHP snippet, though
> that's a bit wasteful of machine resources and I've been seriously
> considering generating static HTML via cronjob, instead.
>
> Only after that did people start saying 'Hey, can you also produce iCAL?
> Can you also produce an RSS feed?'  Which would have been easier if it
> had been part of the design spec.
>
> I've hacked some Python that almost//sort-of produces correct iCAL
> output, but it requires some more work.

Sent from my computer