[vox-tech] network manager icon disappears. Get it back?

Kyle Ambroff ambroff at lindenlab.com
Thu Feb 17 17:29:16 PST 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 5:11 PM, Brian Lavender <brian at brie.com> wrote:

> What can you do when the Network Manager icon disappears in Ubuntu on
> the toolbar?
>
> It seems that this tool controls networking and it disappeared on a
> friend's laptop that I installed Ubuntu on. I had to go through and
> strangely figure out how to add it back to the toolbar. This is not the
> first time the icon has disappeared and I don't seem to see a way to
> get back to it after the "little icon" disappears. Command line? Menu?

 The little icon in the notification area is provided by a program
called nm-applet. You can run it by hand like this:

  nm-applet --sm-disable

The sm-disable prevents it from registering with the gnome-session.
You don't want to know.

This should be automatically started for you when you log in. Try
running the program gnome-session-properties. On the Startup Programs
tab you should see "Network Manager". If you don't, add a new entry
that looks like this:

  Name: Network Manager
  Command: nm-applet --sm-disable
  Comment: Control your network connections

I'm also assuming that NetworkManager is actually running. nm-applet
sends commands to the privileged NetworkManager daemon over DBus,
which actually does all the work.

  sudo service network-manager restart

If it's not running for some reason, you have other problems.

-Kyle