[vox-tech] Apache: 2, Me: 0.

Peter Salzman p at dirac.org
Tue Feb 15 11:38:31 PST 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Orson Jones <orson.lugod at afriskito.net> wrote:
>> Unfortunately, Apache is listening to 80 -- I think I know that
>> because the webserver is accessible from inside the LAN.  But just to
>> make 100% sure,
>
> Rereading your original post, I misunderstood the setup.
> It sounds like the packets are getting in, hitting the server, being
> responded to by the server, but not making it back out the router.
>
> I think your apache config may be ok, but your router may not be handling
> the return traffic correctly. It's also possible that your server's routing
> tables are incorrect, but that is unlikely with it using DHCP.
>
> For the sake of being thorough, running the 'route' command should show the
> default destination gateway to be the IP of your router.
>
> As for your router not passing data back out, I'm at a loss as how to
> correct that. Perhaps running netcat or sshd and trying to connect to that
> could tell you if it is apache not working correctly, or the router.
>
> Orson

Hi Orson,

I'm pretty sure the problem is that Apache is not responding to the
incoming external packets, not that the outgoing packets are being
lost.

The reason why I say this is because:

* /var/log/apache/access.log
* /var/log/apache/dirac.org.access.log
* /var/log/apache/iuselinux.org.access.log

are all empty.  When I access dirac.org from inside the LAN, I can see
exactly which files and images are requested because they get logged
in the *.access logs.  But when I access dirac.org from outside the
LAN, the requests aren't logged in the *.access files.

So therefore, I don't think Apache is responding to external requests.

Pete