[vox-tech] Graphical Remote Login to Linux/KDE from WinXP

Matt Holland mdholland at ucdavis.edu
Sun Dec 25 18:58:40 PST 2011

It's an X server, so it replaces X.org as the environment that a window manager runs in. So yes, it gives you a wholly different session that is entirely separate from the session you would start from the console.

You will want to make sure that the ports used by VNC are firewalled off, and that you use an ssh tunnel to forward the port to your local machine.

Matt