[vox-tech] Eclipse with Maven plugin is so cool!

Michael Wenk mjwenk at ucdavis.edu
Fri Dec 23 22:02:43 PST 2011

I still prefer using the maven's eclipse plugin and archetypes from
the command line, and then importing manually into eclipse.  m2e has a
bunch of limitations, especially if you have a pom that uses
"interesting" build phases.  Of course for simple things this isn't a
problem.  Also, in my experience whenever a change was done it
triggered a mvn build which was a bit more than eclipse's incremental
builder.  This was the deal breaker for me.

So basically what I do is:

- Create the maven project if necessary
- mvn clean install -DdownloadSources=true -DdownloadJavadoc=true
- mvn eclipse:eclipse -DdownloadSources=true -DdownloadJavadoc=true

then import into eclipse.  In one project I worked on, it caused
problems having eclipse build into target.  There's a define you can
use to get maven to generate the eclipse artifacts in such a way that
it uses a different build directory.  I also still have m2e installed,
but mainly to have it do the M2_REPO variable.

The other nice thing is if you have a relatively simple app, you can
use jetty to launch it and do rapid development that way.  Of course I
personally prefer using GWT for my UI work (or jQuery) and then just
using rest endpoints to get/post data back.  However, I don't get to
use that paradigm much anymore.

Mike