[vox-tech] HTPC/Media PC image not centered/symmetrical on TV

Bill Broadley bill at broadley.org
Fri Apr 22 03:04:49 PDT 2011

On 04/21/2011 07:45 PM, Aaron Brayton wrote:
> At the moment, the HTPC is running 1136 x 676p @ 60 Hz.

That is a strange resolution.

> According to the ATI software, the max resolution is 1920 x 1080 @ 60
> Hz.  However, it won't let me select over 30 Hz for anything greater
> than 720p.
> 720p @ 60 Hz and 1080i @ 30 Hz are the two modes available in the ATI
> software (plus custom modes).

So if you set the video card to 720p60 do you get the offset/black bar
issues with the tv?  I wouldn't expect a tv to handle any non sdtv/hdtv
resolutions.

ATI is rather poor at enabling expected functionality on their video
cards, seems possible that 1808p only works with the windows driver.
Probably the best place to look is whatever ati forum there is (although
I've failed to be able to file a bug report with ati before) or the
phoronix gpu forum.