[vox-tech] Which distro for file/print/web server

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Sun Sep 26 17:07:45 PDT 2010

I believe I mentioned Openfiler, but I haven't put it into production though.
It does support a iSCSI, so you could boot block based VMs from your
network store. I wonder how well it does over the long run of upgrades and
updates.
http://www.openfiler.com/

Personally, I would just use Debian and LDAP and Samba. Debian systems just
keep running. New security updates/upgrades usually respect your configuration.
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_&_LDAP

If you don't have that many users, just use the following.

useradd --uid 1018 joe

So that user ids are consistent and access controls are properly maintained.

Here appears to be a cool tool.
smbldap-tools
https://gna.org/projects/smbldap-tools/

The migration tools for LDAP are pretty cool too!
http://www.padl.com/OSS/MigrationTools.html

And, I would put my partitions on LVM with Xen. Then, if a VM gets full (or
a partition) use lvmextend and ext2resize and voila, you have more space.

brian