[vox-tech] home server

Matthew Holland mdholland at ucdavis.edu
Thu Sep 9 11:07:02 PDT 2010

Bruce,

It's really hard to know precisely how to advise you without a bit
more context.  Is this your only computer, or is it on a network with
other computers?  In any case, when you're running Vista, how does the
computer get its IP address?  Is this computer connected directly to
your internet service (e.g., DSL modem or cable modem), or is there a
hardware router in between your computer and your ISP?

Also, from your first message, you seem to be trying to install the
server distribution.  For a new user, the desktop distribution makes
for a much friendlier introduction to GNU/Linux.  The installer is
easier to use, you get to see what the graphical environment is like
before you install, and IIRC, it will set up your network connection
as a DHCP client by default.  The server distribution is aimed more at
experienced users who want to set up a minimal system, and know how to
do all of the necessary configuration by hand.

Give us more context, and we can help, or, as Bill suggests, go to an
installfest and get help in person.

Matt