[vox-tech] home server

netuser at ainet.com netuser at ainet.com
Mon Sep 6 18:56:24 PDT 2010

I have just installed Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit server edition. There are no
programs installed. (10 Prob USB support).

I cannot update, etc since I cannot get online. Apt-get, aptitude, synaptic,
etc don't work since no programs installed (screen shows 0 programs
installed). Tasksel, sudo, etc tried. I need to get online.

This is a sample of data from server guide and online research.

It has been suggested in this data that I add lines in
/etc/network/interfaces:

            Auto eth0

            Iface eth0 inet dhcp

I seem to need to set up DHCP to get on line. Here are some ideas from
server guide and online research, please fix.

DHCP configuration:

IP address: 192.168.1.1

            Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

            Gateway: 192.168.1.1

            Nameserver Address: 192.168.1.1

            Hostname: coffee1

            Domain name: mydomain.com

            Then:

                        DHCP name: coffee1

                        Domain name servers: ns1.example.com

                        Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

                        Default lease time: 600

                        Max lease time: 7200

                        Servername: coffee1.example.com

                                    Subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
{range 192.168.1.200 192.168.1.253}

                                    Option routers 192.168.1.1

                                    Host clientname{

                                                Filename
"/tftpboot/tftpboot.img

                                                Server-name"servername"

                                                Hardware Ethernet
01:23:45:67:89:AB

                                                Fixed address 192.168.1.90

            Then:

                        Option domain-name "example.com";

                        Option domain-name-servers nsl.example.com;

                        Option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;

                        Default-lease-time 600;

                        Max-lease-time 7200;

                        Server-name "servername";

                        }

                        Host clientname {

                           Filename "/tftpboot/tftpboot.img";

                           Server-name "servername";

                            Next-server servername;

                           Hardware Ethernet 01:23:45:67:89:AB;

                           Fixed-address 192.168.1.90;

                           }

Clearly there are conflicting ideas. Any clarification will be appreciated .