[vox-tech] Linux 10.4 update problems

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Nov 23 00:53:39 PST 2010

Jason Snyder wrote:
> I just upgraded to linux 10.4 from linux 9.10 and am having problems
> with running programs and looking at directories in the terminal.
>
> For instance the command ls should give me all the contents of the
> directory that I am in.  However, this is what I get when I enter ls:
>
> snyderjm at snyderjm-laptop:/$ ls
> Command 'ls' is available in '/bin/ls'
> The command could not be located because '/bin' is not included in the
> PATH environment variable.
> ls: command not found
>

> Can you please help me resolve this issue ASAP so that I can start
> working with programs that are on my desktop and also on my external
> hard drives from within the terminal?  These include many fortran
> based programs.

Looks to me like you have NOT upgraded to 10.4... that is, the upgrade
did not complete successfully.

Unfortunately, there are enough ways for an upgrade to break that this
may not be resolvable via the mailing list.  A clean OS reinstall is
often the simplest way to fix it (having /home on a separate filesystem
from / makes this relatively painless, but if you followed a default
install then you probably have a single filesystem).  You did back up
your data before upgrading, right? ;)

You might try catching the grub dialog right after reboot and picking
one of the earlier non-debug backup kernel/OS options as a way to get an
operational system to start from again.