[vox-tech] (O.T.) Strange Image

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 06:53:38 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-05 at 00:44 -0700, Richard Harke wrote:
> I was perusing satellite images on google maps when I happened across
> Hell Hole Resevoir. There was a very strange image on or over the
> water
> that i could not identify. I'm pretty sure the satellite doesn't get
> bugs
> crawling across the camera lens so I'm puzzled as to what this thing
> is.
> If any one is curious, maybe they could look at it and maybe
> some one can identify what it is. (Hell Hole Resevoir is in the
> Sierras,
> east of Georgetown and west of Lake Tahoe. Google knows where it
> is.)
>
> Richard

The white line in the western part of the reservoir appears to be the
wake of a jet-ski or motor boat. The white stuff in the eastern part of
the reservoir appears to be large rocky formations that can also be seen
from this photo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LOGJAM.jpg

At certain zoom levels, there are also JPEG compression artifacts that
appear to add patterns of blurriness to the image, sometimes over just
the water, and sometimes mixing up pieces of the shore with the water.

(I notice if you zoom way out, the shape of the reservoir looks like a
duck.)

--Ken