[vox-tech] apt-get problem

Tony Cratz cratz at hematite.com
Wed Jan 13 23:41:18 PST 2010

Norm Matloff wrote:
> Following some of the suggestions here, this evening I used the Update
> Manager to update all packages.  That restored the old R, 2.6.2, which
> is the latest version of R among my repositories (which are the ones
> that came with the system, no additions by me).  So it didn't help.
>
> I then downloaded R from the R Web page again, by this time version
> 2.10.1.  Interestingly, gdebi didn't give me an error message, but again
> apt-get refused to download anything else afterward, citing
> inconsistencies.  Synaptic Package Manager would not even come up;
> instead, a little window came up saying "You have 12 broken packages on
> your system!  Use the 'Broken' filter to locate them."  Naturally, I
> declined.
>
> I then followed the suggestion to use aptitude.  This turned out to
> solve my problem, as it organized the information better (especially
> from my point of view, as I don't know all the ins and outs of apt-get
> etc.).  Some of the information there pointed to the r-recommended
> package being for 2.6.2.  So I removed that using aptitude.
>
> Well, of course, then R didn't work at all.  It was missing a library.
> So, I ran gdebi again to re-reinstalled R, hoping that that would pick
> up the libraries etc., and it worked!  R works fine, and I was able to
> download mplayer.  Still odd that apt-get had blocked me from adding
> mplayer just because of r-recommended.
>
> Thanks for the help, everyone.  The suggestion to use aptitude was quite
> valuable; in retrospect, of course, I should have thought of the
> r-recommended problem, but aptitude really helped me zero in on it.
> All the other comments at least clarified things for me, and thus were
> valuable too.

	I would suggest you fully purge 'R'. Do not use apt-get to
	install it at all.  Once you have done that do an update to
	insure apt-get is back to normal.

	Once you have insure it is back to normal, then use the .deb
	package you downloaded. This should solve your problem. Please
	note, any new update you will have to download the .deb package
	as R will not be updated because you are not using the
	package in the Ubuntu repository.

	What has happen you have broken the apt-get package when you
	installed via the .deb package you downloaded.

							Tony