[vox-tech] loop never exits!

Matthew Van Gundy matt-lugod at shekinahstudios.com
Tue Apr 20 20:07:47 PDT 2010

On 4/20/10 7:44 PM, Brian Lavender wrote:
> Thus, I am thinking that the compiler could catch this due to the
> fact that i is unsigned. I wanted to print out the reverse of an
> array.

The problem with this is two-fold.  First, writing a loop that may never
terminate isn't necessarily a bug -- consider any daemon process.
Second, determining whether or not a loop terminates is, in general,
undecidable.  Therefore, it is fundamentally impossible to create a
compiler that could make this determination for all possible programs.

... back to dreaming that computers knew what I wanted, rather than what
I've instructed them to do...

Matt