[vox-tech] Fwd: Very slow off net

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Oct 28 01:24:23 PDT 2009

Quoting Richard Harke (paleopenguin at gmail.com):

> That leaves the question: why access DNS at all for a application launch?

Again, what application, for example?  And by what means do you know
that that application is doing DNS lookups?  You say "I've done some
tracing", but I don't know what you've done to associate DNS lookups
with particular non-network-oriented applicaitons.

Once you know what application binary you're talking about, you can run
it under strace to determine what system calls it's making.

By the way, IMO, you really should consider running and using a local
recursive DNS nameserver.  Doing so improve performance a great deal
over using your "router on your home network", which almost certainly is
merely a forwarder.  It'll also improve performance over using OpenDNS,
along with not giving the operators of that service detailed
information about your Internet activity, _and_ (unlike OpenDNS) it
would actually implement DNS technical standards correctly (i.e.,
correctly answering "NXDOMAIN" when that's the truth).

Possibly of related interest:
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2008q3/005308.html
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2008q3/005309.html