[vox-tech] Fwd: Very slow off net

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Oct 26 17:58:01 PDT 2009

Richard posted from a non-subscribed address...

----- Forwarded message from vox-tech-bounces at lists.lugod.org -----

Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:54:41 -0700
From: vox-tech-bounces at lists.lugod.org
Subject: Auto-discard notification
To: vox-tech-owner at lists.lugod.org

Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:46:34 -0700
From: Richard Harke <paleopenguin at gmail.com>
Subject: Very slow off net
To: vox-tech at lists.lugod.org

   When I use my laptop without a network connection, it becomes very, very
   slow launching applications. I've done some tracing and apparently it
   sends
   some kind of request to a DNS server. Not just any DNS but openDNS in
   particular. When its off net, it waits for the time-out before continuing.
   So two quesions Why contact DNS for any app launch? (This includes
   apps that have no possibility of using the net)
   2nd. Why openDNS? I had never heard of them before and certainly
   haven't signed up for their service.

   Richard Harke

----- End forwarded message -----

Sent from my computer