[vox-tech] changing static IP block

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Thu Oct 22 23:42:07 PDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 11:29:20PM -0700, Gandalf Parker wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Oct 2009, Brian Lavender wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 10:00:40AM -0700, Gandalf Parker wrote:
> >> WOW, I just won a free year of Sonic.net at the highest speed they can
> >> provide (in some cases up to 30Mps) by twittering a few times and
> >> including #sonicnet in the twitter (still open for a few days, they award
> >> once a day)
> >
> > So, you are giving up a grand-fathered pacbell static IP for Sonic? I
> > love Sonic, but I would not give the pacbell the boot. After one year,
> > which will come soon, you will pay $70 a month.....
>
> Actually its 8 original PacBell IPs grandfathered.. 4 times? And with
> reverse lookup control pointed to my server. I dont think they do that
> anymore and Ive been afraid to have them look and see its still in place.
>
> But Sonic is also giving me a block 8 (/29, 5 usable). And they have
> reverse I can access (though not point it to my server). And its at $65
> for 7x the speed. And the CustSupp is much better.
>
> Im a very loyal person usually but I try not to be nuts fanatically loyal.

I would definitely go for the Sonic. I had pacbell with the static
block. PPPoE just plain sucks. The connection drops and you have to make
sure that it reconnects. The MTU is smaller, so VPN through it has to
run on a smaller MTU. Sonic is plain old static IP. I am getting 3 Mbps
on my Sonic. I wonder if I can get that 30. I am less than a mile from
the CO.

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/