[vox-tech] Need Partitioning Advice

Tim Riley timriley at appahost.com
Wed Jun 17 13:10:56 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 11:15 -0700, Bob Scofield wrote:
> I'm planning to install Linux on my wife's computer because she does not like
> Vista.  I'm going to create a dual boot and will have 111GB for Linux.
>
> I am thinking of a simple partitioning system with separate partitions for:
>
> /
> /home
> swap

I don't ever recall executing the "top" command and seeing any swap
space being used. So, I would lean towards the lower values.

Also, it used to be that if the root file-system filled up, UNIX
wouldn't boot. You would have to boot the rescue tape onto the swap
partition, then mount the root file-system and "find" and "rm" the big
file(s) that probably caused root to fill up. Only then could you boot.
That's why (I believe) you had to partition /tmp, /var/, /usr, etc. So,
if any of them filled up, root would be spared. However, now Linux does
a clean up of /tmp and probably other directories to enable it to boot
if the root file system filled up, thereby making partitioning decisions
a thing of the past.

<snip>

> Is there any special difficulty in creating a dual boot system with Vista?

Visit http://apcmag.com/howto_home.htm . There you'll find clear
instructions and screen dumps showing you how to build a dual-boot.