[vox-tech] What could be interfering with my wireless

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Mon Jun 1 18:20:46 PDT 2009

Here's the setup: my DSL modem hooks directly up to my router. My
desktop computer connects to a router and has a static IP address,
192.168.1.110.

Also coming from the router is my wireless access point, which also
has a static IP address, 192.168.1.200. My wife's computer connects
exclusively via wireless, but her computer also has a static IP
address. I have disabled DHCP on my router, so everything has static
IP addresses. The layout looks something like this:

DSL Modem --> Router --> My computer (192.168.1.110)

                           +--> WAP (192.168.1.200) --> Wife's computer

(My apologies if this rough schematic looks miserable on your screen.
I think you get the basic idea.

Every so often, the WAP drops its signal, which isn't too surprising.
What's surprising and extremely annoying is that it appears that some
process on my own computer -- 192.168.1.110 -- causes the WAP to drop
its signal, which boots my wife off the Internet. Sometimes the
problem can be resolved by power cycling the WAP, but sometimes I have
to reboot my own computer before her connection can be re-established.

I'm off to get a long-ass cable to connect her computer right to the
router, but I wondered if anyone has any ideas as to how this could be
happening.

--
Richard S. Crawford (rscrawford at mossroot.com)
http://www.mossroot.com