[vox-tech] Promise SmartStor NS2300N NAS success & mount questions

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Mon Jan 5 07:56:33 PST 2009

Nick Schmalenberger wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 10:18:24PM -0800, Rod Roark wrote:
>> This is the printer:
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828113225
>>
>> It was on sale at the time (August of this year) for $349.99 + tax
>> with free shipping.  We're really pleased with it, and it's quite a
>> bit cheaper to operate than an inkjet printer -- not to mention much
>> more dependable!
>>
>> Rod
> I have an HL-5250DN which has been great, but recently after
> printing certain PostScripts it will start saying IGNORE DATA and
> it was printing PostScript unrendered, have you seen anything
> like that? I had to do a reset, which turned out not to reset
> full duplex or draft mode settings which also surprised me.

No, haven't experienced that.

> Also, are you using CUPS, lpr, or what?

Using CUPS.  Brother provides .deb packages for an "lpr driver"
and a "cupswrapper driver" for the HL-4070CDW, both of which
need to be installed.

There used to be a different CUPS driver that I think used some
sort of Postscript emulation that's built into the printer, but
I found it much too slow and it now seems to have disappeared
from Brother's site.

> I have been using lpr
> with no drivers or anything on linux and ipp works on windows
> with the windows Brother PostScript driver, both over ipv6. I
> wish ppdfilt worked with the bsd lpr that comes with debian, its
> pretty nice and simple otherwise. As tldp Pringting HOWTO says
> "ppdfilt is best used with an option accepting lpd system" and
> bsd lpr is not but lprng is. However lprng is not maintained
> anymore, does anybody know of another alternative? Thanks.
> Nick

Looks like Brother has packages for your printer:
http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/download_prn.html#HL-5250DN

Rod