[vox-tech] Promise SmartStor NS2300N NAS success & mount questions

Nick Schmalenberger nick at schmalenberger.us
Sun Jan 4 23:33:35 PST 2009

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 10:18:24PM -0800, Rod Roark wrote:
> Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 12:18:51PM -0800, Rod Roark wrote:
> >> Sounds nice.  I'm a big fan of network-aware peripherals,
> >> our newest being a Brother wireless color laser printer.
> >> Also on our home network are a wireless webcam (for the
> >> wife's child care business), an old server that mostly
> >> functions as NAS, and a MythTV box.
> >
> > The Brother we got is a 23ppm b/w laser.  Grabbed it for about $100.
> > How much did the color laser cost?
>
> This is the printer:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828113225
>
> It was on sale at the time (August of this year) for $349.99 + tax
> with free shipping.  We're really pleased with it, and it's quite a
> bit cheaper to operate than an inkjet printer -- not to mention much
> more dependable!
>
> Rod

I have an HL-5250DN which has been great, but recently after
printing certain PostScripts it will start saying IGNORE DATA and
it was printing PostScript unrendered, have you seen anything
like that? I had to do a reset, which turned out not to reset
full duplex or draft mode settings which also surprised me.

Also, are you using CUPS, lpr, or what? I have been using lpr
with no drivers or anything on linux and ipp works on windows
with the windows Brother PostScript driver, both over ipv6. I
wish ppdfilt worked with the bsd lpr that comes with debian, its
pretty nice and simple otherwise. As tldp Pringting HOWTO says
"ppdfilt is best used with an option accepting lpd system" and
bsd lpr is not but lprng is. However lprng is not maintained
anymore, does anybody know of another alternative? Thanks.
Nick