[vox-tech] Hard drive dying?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Feb 22 19:58:54 PST 2009

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 07:14:40PM -0800, Alex Mandel wrote:
>> smartctl
>
> Yeah.  Not sure what options to give it, or what any of the
> output means. :^/
>
> This is all so gibberish to me, that Google searches are pretty useless,
> at this point. :^(

sudo smartctl -H /dev/sda

Gives you the basic yes/no

sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda

Then look at the table of data. You don't really need to know what they
mean but if the values are high (over 100) then something is probably
wrong, there's also a column that indicates if it's failing.

Then there's
SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

And after all that you can run additional tests if you want with the -t
option, usually you want to use this when the drive is not mounted other
wise you need to specify the online option.

Alex

It's all in the man pages.