[vox-tech] Legal Ethics Tech Question

Bob Scofield scofield at omsoft.com
Mon Dec 14 22:53:40 PST 2009

On Monday 14 December 2009, Tony Cratz wrote:
> Bob Scofield wrote:
> > I've got a dual boot laptop, but I have to use Windows for my legal work.
> > Supposedly Windows XP has a firewall, though I've never used it.  But
> > note that the opinion talks about having to use both a firewall and an
> > encryption device.  So what is an "encryption device" that I can use to
> > comply with the ethics opinion when I am using Windows Internet Explorer
> > to connect to the web?
>
> 	Windows firewalls are not secure. You can use other software to
> 	help be a more secure firewall. This will help to reduce the
> 	number of people who can break into your laptop as you are
> 	connected to the Internet.
>
> 	Next I have a question, what are you using the Internet for when
> 	you are using a public WiFi connection? Or you using it to for
> 	surfing public records? Or are you using it to connect to non
> 	public web servers?

I connect to a very expensive legal database (westlaw.com).  I'm paying $168 a
month for a lighter version of it at home.  But sometimes I need the extra
databases you can get at a law library for free.

> 	Second question is are you accessing your work desktop via
> 	the Internet?

My desktop connection is with a cable and a router.  It's not wireless.

Thanks for responding.

Bob