[vox-tech] Legal Ethics Tech Question

Tony Cratz cratz at hematite.com
Mon Dec 14 22:25:58 PST 2009

Bob Scofield wrote:
> I've got a dual boot laptop, but I have to use Windows for my legal work.
> Supposedly Windows XP has a firewall, though I've never used it.  But note
> that the opinion talks about having to use both a firewall and an encryption
> device.  So what is an "encryption device" that I can use to comply with the
> ethics opinion when I am using Windows Internet Explorer to connect to the
> web?

	Windows firewalls are not secure. You can use other software to
	help be a more secure firewall. This will help to reduce the
	number of people who can break into your laptop as you are
	connected to the Internet.

	Next I have a question, what are you using the Internet for when
	you are using a public WiFi connection? Or you using it to for
	surfing public records? Or are you using it to connect to non
	public web servers?

	Second question is are you accessing your work desktop via
	the Internet?

	If you are doing either of these you could be putting your
	clients case in question.

	If you are connecting to your desktop (which you really should
	not) you must use a VPN system which supports high security
	by encrypting the data as it is being transfered.

	Even if you are not accessing your desktop but are just surfing
	public web sites, you should be using something like TrueCrypt
	to encrypt your clients data on your laptop. Thus keeping it
	more secure when your firewall is breached.

	In fact, why aren't you using something like TrueCrypt to store
	your work data on your laptop. Anyone who can gain physical
	access to your laptop can break into it by bypassing the
	password. The information on how to do so is on the web with
	a simple Google search.

	If you are not currently using some form of encryption for
	your client records are you are at risk of
<quote>
violating his duties of confidentiality and competence ....
</quote>

							Tony