[vox-tech] Window Managers

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Apr 22 11:41:50 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:31:18AM -0700, Brian Lavender wrote:
> Dumb question. How do you have it ignore Alt-Tab?

Well, _I_ haven't done this, and I don't know what desktop you're
using on the local machines.  But in KDE, you can alter the crap
out of your global and application-specific shortcuts (as well
as notifications, too :^) ... you hook something up to make
a klaxon horn go off in your garage whenever you get an IM,
for example.)

Anyway, in KDE 4 desktop on [K]ubuntu 8.10, it's:

  KDE menu -> System -> System Settings
  Keyboard and Mouse  (icon)
  Global Keyboard Shortcuts  (icon on the left pane)
  KDE component: Kwin  (pulldown menu at the top)
  Walk Through Windows  (shortcut item - has "Alt+Tab" as its default)

There's also the "Walk Through Windows (Reverse)"
(which by default is "Alt+Shift+Backtab", which I think is just
a fancy way of saying "Alt+Shift+Tab"... I guess "Backtab" is just
"Shift+Tab"[*]).  If you find that you use that shortcut, you'll
also want to change it locally, too.

ALTERNATIVELY, you could set up different, non-conflicting keystrokes
over on the remote display that you're VNC'ing to.  I suppose it
depends on your situation.  (Can you change your keystroke habits?
Do you do more on the remote systems, and just use the local system
for its VNC client?  Etc.)

[*] On my Atari, the [Tab] key with [Shift] sets a new tab, and
    with [Ctrl] clears the tab at the cursor's current column, if there's
    any.  Yep, you can edit your tabstops right in the on-screen editor
    (the "E:" device), e.g., inside Atari BASIC. :)
    Word processors obviously used those keystrokes, too, IIRC.

Sent from my computer