[vox-tech] External USB webcam under Linux

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sun Oct 12 23:07:42 PDT 2008

So thinking back, I was an idiot, not getting a Dell laptop with a webcam.
I mean... I'm the author of Tux Paint, right?  What better thing to do
in Tux Paint than scribble a mustache on your own picture, right?

Anyway, I'm considering purchasing something, hopefully cheap and small.
I'm looking at Portvideo as a library to use (within Tux Paint),
which apparently uses Video4Linux behind the scenes.  (They suggest a
"Philips ToUcam Pro", which I cannot find on Amazon, and don't see on eBay).

Does anyone here have one they can recommend?  And... if you have it handy,
would you be willing to try using it with Portvideo to see if it works? :)

http://reactable.iua.upf.edu/?portvideo

Thanks!