[vox-tech] Looking for a course/tutor

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Sun Oct 12 18:19:32 PDT 2008

ALLO (Alfredo Lopez De Leon) wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'd like to know if any of you know where I can take a course to learn how
> to install and configure software for a Linux Cluster.

That's pretty open ended.  So you want to know how to install software on an
existing cluster?  It's not really any different than any collection of servers.

If you mean how do I install a cluster... depends... what are you trying to
do?  The very nature of a cluster is hard to pin down without first trying to
figure out what the cluster is trying to do.  If you want a cluster linux
distribution Rocks (http://www.rocksclusters.org/) isn't a terrible place to
start.  They cover many common usage cases, virtualization, visualization,
traditional hpc, etc.

>  I am a biologist and I
> know how to get stuff to work on stand-alone machines but clusters, I have no

Mostly clusters add a network file system and in some cases a batch queue.
It's mostly the same pieces as any normal collection of linux servers.

> idea. In case you wonder, most of what I know I learned on Install fests, on
> Vox-Tech and reading books that some of you recommended.
> If you don't know of a course, but you know somebody that could give me a
> one-on-one tutorial plea$e contact me directly.

I'm not sure about a tutorial, hard to present any material where the space of
possible topics to discuss is huge.  Any single batch queue (of dozens) could
easily take a week, different communication layers like MPI, network
filesystems, parallel filesystems, virtualization, etc.