[vox-tech] openoffice and word

Bob Scofield scofield at omsoft.com
Tue Jan 15 18:07:43 PST 2008

On Tuesday 15 January 2008, Carl Boettiger wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi.

I'll take a stab at this.  If I get it wrong, one of the big boys will correct
me and help you out.

> I dual-boot windows and linux and save documents to a third (vfat)
> partition.  I began editing a file in windows on MS word.  I switch to
> linux, open it in openoffice and edit and save the file in .doc format.  I
> reboot into windows.  Will windows give me the time I last edited it in
> Word or the (more recent) time I last edited it openoffice in linux?

Windows should give you the document just as it was most recently edited with
Open Office in Linux.

> My problem is that going back to windows and opening the file, i don't see
> any of the changes in linux, and the time last edited according to windows
> is the time I last edited it in MS word.  There's no record of the editing
> in openoffice anywhere.  Any possible explanations?

One explanation might be that your third partition (vfat) is not being mounted
to the Linux root system in a way that is allowing you to write to the vfat
partition with Open Office.  That is, the vfat partition might be mounted so
you can read it from Linux, but can't write to it.

So I would look at your /etc/fstab file when you are in Linux.  I'd look for
the line that has the information about the vfat partition, and under
the "options" column I'd look to see if it says "defaults."  It should
say "defaults."  If it doesn't, then you might want to put "defaults" there,
and see if that takes care of your problem.

Bob