[vox-tech] Ubuntu Security Software

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Aug 18 17:35:26 PDT 2008

I wrote:

> Don't think of it as confusion; think of it as a sales opportunity for
> installing a good IDS or two.
> Possibly of interest:  http://linuxgazette.net/issue98/moen.html

However, I just made the connection to _which_ mailing list this is,[1]
and thus to Bill Broadley's interesting series of posts where he worries
about evidence that post-root-compromise measures have become (or can be)
sufficiently subtle that even a competently setup and administered IDS,
including those run by paranoics who don't trust their machines'
runtime state when doing IDS operations, will be unable to detect
anything.

I've been away over the weekend and didn't have time to give more than a
cursory glance to Bill's interesting posts.  'Hope to do so soon.

[1] I have quite a few mailing lists' posts collectively landing into a
single mbox.  Thus, I have to really pay attention to remember where I'm
posting at any given moment.