[vox-tech] How safe is this upgrade?

Troy Arnold troy-vox at zenux.net
Mon Sep 17 18:10:42 PDT 2007

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 04:59:56PM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:

> Yeah, one big apache.conf.

Not really an issue.  It's easy to use a monolithic apache.conf in Etch.
(although I really like the Debian Way of splitting things up into
sites/modules available/enabled.)

> But what I really don't like is the upgrade to MySQL 5... don't want to
> have to deal with that.

That is a real concern.  Specifically, there are some differences with what
datetime and timestamp fields return when requested without a format
string.  There's also something to do with auto_increment fields also, but I
can't remember precisely, and I don't have my notes here.  The last thing I
remember is that I had to change one nasty query to be a straight join
because mysql 5 didn't optimize the join order for that particular query as
well as mysql 4.1 did.  But, I successfully upgraded a small ISP's db
server (with all the weird and funky apps that customers write) with only
the issues noted above.

-t