[vox-tech] Upgrading version of Ubuntu (question about saving/restoring package selections)

Henry House hajhouse at houseag.com
Fri Oct 19 08:39:49 PDT 2007

(Moving thread to: vox-tech.)

> Hi Henry,
>
> At the farmer's market you mentioned some commands for upgrading to a higher
> version.  One of the trick you recommended is getting a list packages and
> storing into a text file.  I think it was a get-app command.  With that text
> file it is possible to restore all the unique packages after upgrading.
>
> I looked at the archives, but could not find the thread about upgrading
> Ubuntu versions.

Hello Chris, good to hear from you again.

Actually the thread was about upgrading Debian versions --- Ubuntu is a
Debian derivative (and the Ubuntu developers and the Debian developers
share many of their efforts) so the Debian way works on Ubuntu as well,
with the exception that Ubuntu offers a GUI update manager (accessible
from the main program menu, called 'applications' in the default Ubuntu
desktop) that is recommended for doing the actual update. The method of
saving and restoring package selections is the same. The relevant threads can be
found here: