[vox-tech] Re: vox-tech Digest, Vol 41, Issue 7

Cylar Z cylarz at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 11 00:12:41 PDT 2007

First, many thanks to all who wrote and offered
suggestions. I have some follow-up questions:

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:17:16 -0700
> From: Harold Lee <harold at hotelling.net>
> Subject: Re: [vox-tech] server setup
> To: lugod's technical discussion forum
>
> You should be able to assign the Linux server a
> static IP address in
> your local network (e.g. 192.168.1.10 usually works
> well). Just
> configure the Linux box with that static IP and see
> if it works. Then
> you can configure the router to forward ports like
> 80 (HTTP) and 25
> (SMTP) to that IP address. On my Linksys router this
> is under
> "Applications and Gaming" -> "Port Range Forward".
> That should be all
> you need to do to be able to get to your Linux
> Apache server from
> "the outside".
>
> - Harold

Yeah, I've got a Linksys myself and I noticed that
feature. A few questions for you:

1. When you set your ports, do you use TCP or UDP?
2. Regarding #1, what application do you put (if any)
on those forwarding lines in the router setup?
3. Do you leave your INTERNAL dhcp server on or off?
4. You're using a static internal IP on the server
itself, right? Otherwise, how would the router know
where the server is - how else would it be able to
send packets coming in on port 80 (or 22, or 25) to
the right computer on my LAN?
5. Do I leave my Windows client set to dynamic IP
addressing?
6. Regarding #4, what do I put into the server for
gateway, subnet mask, and DNS? The same DNS, gateway,
and subnet mask info that the router itself uses w/ my
ISP? Or just 192.168.1.1 over and over for all those?

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:55:42 -0700
> From: Wes Hardaker <wjhns156 at hardakers.net>
> Subject: Re: [vox-tech] server setup
> To: lugod's technical discussion forum
> <vox-tech at lists.lugod.org>

> Do you need to access the server from the internet?
> IE, is it actually
> going to be serving something?  Or is this just a
> linux box to play
> with.

This is going to be a web and email server. Right now
it can't even ping hosts like mit.edu, much less serve
incoming HTTP requests. Which it would seem is all
port forwarding does - I'd think it useless for
establishing basic outbound connectivity.