[vox-tech] server setup

Wes Hardaker wjhns156 at hardakers.net
Wed Oct 10 07:55:42 PDT 2007

CZ> The problem is when I try to combine the two. The
CZ> server and the Windows client need to be able to share
CZ> the DSL connection. Question is, how?

Do you need to access the server from the internet?  IE, is it actually
going to be serving something?  Or is this just a linux box to play
with.

Choices:

1) both behind the router with the linux box not serving anything (like
   web pages):  simply configure the interface to accept a DHCP address
   from the router when it comes up:

   Run "system-config-network" and select dhcp as the option for the
   card.

   (this really just puts something like this in your
   /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file:

      DEVICE=eth0
      BOOTPROTO=dhcp
      ONBOOT=yes

2) if your linux box is serving something (like web pages) and you still
   want it behind the router, then you need to configure the router to
   port-forward the server ports you want to the linux box (IE, for web
   pages set it to port forward port 80 to your linux box).  You'll
   likely need to use an internal static IP address to make this work
   right.  More advanced configuration of the router needed.

3) if your linux box is serving something (like web pages): you can have
   *it* be the router connected to the internet and use 2 interface
   cards and have the windows box behind it:

CZ> Or do I use 2 Ethernet cards in the server, secure it
CZ> via a software firewall, and then put the router
CZ> behind it (with the client attached to the router)?
CZ> I’m not crazy about the second way since it means
CZ> routing 100% of my Internet traffic in both directions
CZ> through the server.

You don't need the router at all at that point.  You may want a switch,
but the linux box can be the DHCP server too which is all the windows box
needs anyway.  A simple 4-port switch will make you happy (or a
crossover cable, but I'd recommend the switch instead)