[vox-tech] server setup

Harold Lee harold at hotelling.net
Wed Oct 10 07:17:16 PDT 2007

On Oct 9, 2007, at 11:26 PM, Cylar Z wrote:

> I've got a domain name I'm going to associate with
> this thing, but that comes later. Eventually I'm
> going to set this up to handle incoming HTTP requests,
> and I also want to run a mail server.

You should be able to assign the Linux server a static IP address in
your local network (e.g. 192.168.1.10 usually works well). Just
configure the Linux box with that static IP and see if it works. Then
you can configure the router to forward ports like 80 (HTTP) and 25
(SMTP) to that IP address. On my Linksys router this is under
"Applications and Gaming" -> "Port Range Forward". That should be all
you need to do to be able to get to your Linux Apache server from
"the outside".

- Harold