[vox-tech] General Wireless Security Question

Gandalf Parker gandalf at any1can.net
Tue Mar 27 18:25:25 PDT 2007

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Bob Scofield wrote:

> And here's another question I think I know the answer to.  Given that people
> can hack at public access points, I assume that as far as protecting critical
> system files you're better off with using Linux than Windows since it would
> be harder for the hacker to get into the root directory given the Unix
> permissions.  Is this correct?

Based on previous experience running honeypots, Id guess that the answer
to that is the same by wireless as not.

Linux is better than windows but not quite for the reason you think. If a
windows running script-kiddie gets a windows based app to hack in to a
windows based system then they tend to be at home once they get in. If a
linux based script kiddie gets an app to hack into a linux based system
they are often lost at that point. You would be amazed at how many times I
got my hopes up about a sophisticated breakin only to watch the person
stumble around trying to figure out how to see the directory.

Of course, you can always improve on their confusion using non-default
arrangments or misdirection. Dont take for granted that you wont be broken
into, plan for it. Its alot more fun.

Just one example... it doesnt hurt anything to have your system contact
you whenever it boots up, or someone becomes root, or certain commands are
run. Have it do a traceroute or netstat and email it to you on another
system. So you get a few irritating emails. You will appreciate it if your
laptop ever gets stolen or hacked.

Gandalf  Parker
--
Having locks on the gate
doesnt mean you shouldnt also have a watchdog in the yard.