[vox-tech] General Wireless Security Question

Bob Scofield scofield at omsoft.com
Tue Mar 27 17:17:40 PDT 2007

We've talked before here about how someone can hack into your laptop if you're
doing wireless with an open connection at a public wireless access point.
But does anybody have any idea what the practical risks are?

Does anybody know if there are very many people actually going near a
Starbucks or airport access point and hacking into people's laptops?  I
haven't read about this happening in the newspapers.

And here's another question I think I know the answer to.  Given that people
can hack at public access points, I assume that as far as protecting critical
system files you're better off with using Linux than Windows since it would
be harder for the hacker to get into the root directory given the Unix
permissions.  Is this correct?

Thank you.

Bob