[vox-tech] microphone (solved-summary)

Jimbo evesautomotive at charter.net
Thu Jun 21 08:47:34 PDT 2007

Nick Schmalenberger wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 11:29:43PM -0700, Jimbo wrote:
>
>> I have just emailed the company that you posted asking them if this
>> product will work on Linux.  Doesn't do me any good if it doesn't
>>

> The manufacturer webpage: http://www.soundtech.com/lightsnake/faq.asp
> says that it works with a generic usb audio driver windows has, and
> linux also has a generic usb audio driver (snd-usb-audio), so I think
> there is a good chance it would work. The same page says to your
> question: "Is the LightSnake compatible with Linux?
> The cable has not been proven to be compatible with Linux."
>
> So I guess they are saying they haven't tried it, but they think it is
> possible also. If it needed a special driver for windows or linux I
> think they would know and say conclusively.
>
> Again, I don't have any experience with usb audio devices, so maybe
> somebody else can tell you more. Hope you make this work and
> can tell us what you find. If it does work you should also add it to the
> list of supported devices here:
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Usb-audio
> Nick

So I wrote the shure company and this is what they said:

Discussion Thread
 Response (Jim Rice)    06/21/2007 10:40 AM
The problem is that there is no agreed to format as to the audio input
level on sound cards. Some accept a low impedance input, some a high and
some line level.

The 8900 is a low (600 ohm) balanced output at -52dBV Check with your
sound card/PC manufacture to see it the USB will accept this level of
audio input.
 Customer (Jim Notonyourlife)    06/21/2007 10:24 AM
How about this adapter:

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=41800&Category=Audio_Interfaces

Will this work with your device or do I have to have a preamp to push
this microphone on my pc?

I found out by googling that there is degrees of impedance in which
sound cards have to have a lot.

Jim.