[vox-tech] size of /var

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Mon Jan 8 22:00:34 PST 2007

For those of you with Debian based systems with /var on its own partition,
how much space did you allocate for /var?

On my system, I'm starting to feel cramped:

   Filesystem   Size  Used  Avail Use%  Mounted on
   /dev/hdb2    581M  416M  135M  76%   /var

I would've sworn that 581MB was big enough, but apparently not.  The largest
directories in /var (everything else is small change):

   satan# du -hs *
   49M     cache
   209M    lib

In cache (everything else is small):

18M     auto-apt
15M     apt
9.6M    debconf
4.8M    locate
1.5M    man
539K    fontconfig
371K    apt-listbugs

And in lib (everything else is small):

46M     dpkg
45M     apt
39M     texmf
24M     mysql
20M     gconf
13M     cyrus

It's weird that the directory contents add up to what they do.  Guess that's
the power of a preponderance of small numbers...

Pete

--
How VBA rounds a number depends on the number's internal representation.
You cannot always predict how it will round when the rounding digit is 5.

Peter Jay Salzman, email: p at dirac.org web: http://www.dirac.org/p