[vox-tech] Swap Size

Kyle Ambroff kwa at icculus.org
Wed Feb 21 08:38:51 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 08:20 -0800, Bob Scofield wrote:
> I've ordered a laptop with 1G of memory.  Yesterday I read on the web someone
> recommending that you have twice as much swap as memory.  So he said that if
> you have 512M of memory you should have 1G of swap.
>
> But if I have 1G of memory it certainly seems like 2G of swap is too much.
> Couldn't I just get by with 1G swap, or should I allocate 2G to swap?

I think for general use, you wouldn't need a large swap if your system
has 1GB of memory. However, if you plan on using swsuspend (suspend to
disk), which is called hibernate in Windows, then 2GB is probably a good
idea. You need to make sure that there is enough room for whatever pages
have been moved to swap, and a copy of system memory.

I'm not an expert though, someone else might have better advice.

Kyle