[vox-tech] Swap Size

Wade Pinkston blata at extent0006.entomology.ohio-state.edu
Wed Feb 21 08:37:05 PST 2007

All of the current conventional wisdom I've heard says that theres no
point going over 1g of swap regardless of the amount of ram.  That is
any amount of ram over 512 only requires 1g of swap.

This is of course unless you know you will need more.

Bob Scofield wrote:
> I've ordered a laptop with 1G of memory.  Yesterday I read on the web someone
> recommending that you have twice as much swap as memory.  So he said that if
> you have 512M of memory you should have 1G of swap.
>
> But if I have 1G of memory it certainly seems like 2G of swap is too much.
> Couldn't I just get by with 1G swap, or should I allocate 2G to swap?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Bob

Wade Pinkston

Ipsa scientia potestas est

Windows,a
32 bit graphical interface for a
16 bit patch to an
8 bit operating system internally coded for a
4 bit processor written by a
2 bit company that can't stand
1 bit of competition