[vox-tech] Mirrored drive setup for backup

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Feb 5 17:05:44 PST 2007

Quoting Dylan Beaudette (dylan.beaudette at gmail.com):

[Tyan K8WE:]

[...]
> Another machine in this lab only supports RAID level 0 for the SATA
> connectors. Is there a workable software RAID strategy for mirroring disks in
> linux or will I need to purchase a new hard disk controller?

IMVAO, you're best off ignoring the BIOS-assisted Nvidia fakeraid
chipset on the Tyan, and instead using (on either machine, actually)
real software RAID1 using the Linux "md" driver.  The etch installer
will handle that without fuss (if you want to rebuild your system, as
opposed to just adding a mirror pair).