[vox-tech] Mirrored drive setup for backup

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 16:30:18 PST 2007

Hi everyone,

I am looking into some methods of keeping some of our labs shared data in a
slightly safer disk setup. Currently there are two single 300Gb SATA drives
in this machine. I am thinking about installing another set of mirrored 300Gb
drives and using this mirrored setup to hold all of the shared data. This
would give me two single drives for operations which require instant access
(i have heard that a mirrored setup is not as fast as a single drive), and
the mirrored array for redundancy. This machine is running Debian/Unstable,
and has a Tyan Thunder K8WE motherboard. It looks like this board supports up
to 4 SATA drives, along with RAID 0, 1, 0+1, and 'JBOD' .

Another machine in this lab only supports RAID level 0 for the SATA
connectors. Is there a workable software RAID strategy for mirroring disks in
linux or will I need to purchase a new hard disk controller?

Would this type of setup be either possible or worthwhile for a simple
safeguard against hardware failure? If not, are there other options which
would be better suited for this task?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

dylan

--