[vox-tech] ohms law

Jimbo evesautomotive at charter.net
Fri Feb 2 12:34:26 PST 2007

Greetings:
This is a technical question that concerns dc voltage so hopefully someone
that has knowledge in this area can help me with this.

I know that computers use low dc voltage of 12, 5 and 3.3 volts so hopefully
this will fit the mail list criteria.

I am a mechanic by trade.  I am good at diagnosing electrical and
drivability.  I have seen a few times that high resistance in the negative
leg of a circuit can take out components like computers, modules and even
not-so-complicated devices like bulbs and switches.  What I don't understand
is why.  Ohm's law states that E=IXR.  If this is the case then if
resistance is high it will decrease amperage.  I would tend to think that
just the opposite would happen...component would just lose power and not
fry.

Please enlighten me,

Jimbo