[vox-tech] Fwd: Printer, FTP and Audacity questions

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Dec 27 07:12:45 PST 2007

On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 07:02:42AM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
<snip>
> 2-How do I obtain a super to use FTP
> program for Linux?

Client, or server?  I can answer for clients.

I'm a KDE user, and have found Konqueror has been plenty for my FTP
download needs, and regular old "ftp" command-line/text-based app for
uploading (e.g., to SourceForge.net).

"ncftp" is a fairly nice text-based FTP client, with [Tab]-completion,
bookmarks, and all that good stuff.

Briefly searching what's available on Ubuntu, I found:

atftp                         - advanced TFTP client
cftp                          - A full-screen ftp client
ftp                           - The FTP client
ftp-ssl                       - The FTP client with SSL or TLS encryption
ftp.app                       - File transfer protocol application for GNUStep
ftpgrab                       - file mirroring utility
gftp                          - X/GTK+ FTP client
gftp-gtk                      - X/GTK+ FTP client
gftp-text                     - colored FTP client using GLib
kftpgrabber                   - ftp client for KDE
lftp                          - Sophisticated command-line FTP/HTTP client
ncftp                         - A user-friendly and well-featured FTP client
ncftp2                        - A user-friendly and well-featured FTP client
tftp                          - Trivial file transfer protocol client
tnftp                         - The enhanced ftp client

I'm guessing for 100% desktop integration, Ubuntu (GNOME desktop) users
would want "gftk-gtk", and Kubuntu (KDE desktop) users would want
"kftpgrabber".

Additionally, there's your favorite browser -- like I mentioned, I use
Konqueror on KDE, and there's Iceweasel/Firefox.  Finally, KDE also has
a 'download manager' that you can use (separate from Konqueror, or whatever
browser you choose) called "kget".  (Think of it as a GUI alternative to
"wget", I guess.)

So... I can't say how 'super' most of these are, since I haven't used all
of them, but Ubuntu apparently has a ton of choices. :)

> 3-I have been looking over "Audacity"
> for a while and am having trouble understanding
> how to get just the "exe" files for the program.
> Care to help?

I'm not sure if you're looking for a newer/different version than what comes
with Ubuntu, but it's available as a package.  Just do:

  sudo apt-get install audacity

or use your favorite package installer or application installer.

Good luck!

bill at newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/