[vox-tech] Fwd: VMware raw disk advice

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Apr 16 23:33:54 PDT 2007

Donald tried posting this from a non-subscribed address.  Fwd'ing on his
behalf...

----- Forwarded message from vox-tech-bounces at lists.lugod.org -----

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:23:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Donald G. McGahan" <dig.soilman at yahoo.com>
Subject: VMware raw disk advice
To: vox-tech at lists.lugod.org

Anyone with some experience with VMware raw?

I am trying to run my WinXP Pro install as a virtual machine in VMware.
I have repaired an XP hardware profile, changed the HD controller device driver to Standard, and followed VMwares instructions for RAW disk virtual machine.

Two things.
First, I had 'sudo adduser dig disk' and now VMware will not even start as user dig

/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)
Unable to initialize host: Cannot open file "/home/dig/.vmware/preferences": Permission denied.

I'm over my head here. What did I screw up and how do I fix it.

Second, even if I   'sudo vmware'  and start the virtual machine I get

error @
      GRUB loading stage 15
       error 21

The XP Pro is on hda and the GNU/Linux (Ubuntu) is on hdb1
Oh, and GNU/Linux never mounts hda

I am assume (and you know what they say about that) that the boot fails because of no access to hdb by VMware and that is where the rest of GRUB is? I'm way out of my league here. Is there an elegant way to do this?

Donald G. McGahan, Ph.D.
Soils and Biogeochemistry UCDavis

----- End forwarded message -----

bill at newbreedsoftware.com