[vox-tech] Alarming spam

Gandalf Parker gandalf at any1can.net
Mon Apr 16 15:23:28 PDT 2007

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Richard Harke wrote:

> On Sat April 14 2007 11:58, Till Stegers wrote:
>> Another way spammers can get this kind of info (name + address) is by
>> compromising the machine of somebody that has your info in their address
>> book. For instance, if you send you vCard with full address around, a
>> lot of people might have this in their address book.
>>
> But again, why would they use my wifes name instead of mine?
> Richard

If your wife has ever gotten an email from some well-meaning friend or
family and it was addressed to a long list of people, then you can
consider that address to be in danger of spam. Sometimes I forget and send
an email to someone without changing it to my junk bucket address. When I
see them send out a huge "look at this cool thing" email to everyone in
their address book I ask them that if they are going to do that then
please use gandalf at community.net

Gandalf  Parker
-- Community.Net is a dead domain of an ISP which crashed and burned.
However you can wave a dead chicken and still write to me as gandalf at
that address. http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/w/waveadeadchicken.html