[vox-tech] USB drivers

John Wojnaroski castle at mminternet.com
Mon Apr 9 22:41:26 PDT 2007

Hi

Any experts in talking with USB devices?

After enumerating the device, I try sending a usb control msg to the
device and get a broken pipe error.  The USB device is a custom Hagstrom
keyboard chip that is configured as a generic HID.  here is the
enumerated data

T:  Bus=03 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  4 Spd=1.5 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=04b4 ProdID=0202 Rev= 1.01
S:  Manufacturer=LFS Technologies
S:  Product=LFS Technologies HID
S:  SerialNumber=?
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr= 52mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   6 Ivl=10ms

and here is some output from a short test program with some debugging
output.  The device is found, a handle created, and a short
usb_control_msg sent.  packet bytes are shown in the next to last line,
the chip should respond with a three byte packet

rampart:/home/castle/src/Demo/Source/Static# ./test
usb_os_init: Found USB VFS at /proc/bus/usb
lfs> Looking for the lfs
lfs> bus/device  idVendor/idProduct
lfs> 004/001     0000/0000
lfs> 003/004     04B4/0202 * Device ID of devices 1
lfs> 003/001     0000/0000
lfs> 002/003     0FC5/1222
lfs> 002/002     045E/0083
lfs> 002/001     0000/0000
lfs> 001/001     0000/0000
lfs> Interface Number 0
lfs> Set Configuration 1
lfs> Claim Interface 0
lfs> Set Alternative Interface 0
LFStech> USB_CMD( 21 9 100 0 300 )
lfs> ### USB Error (usb_control_msg): error sending control message:
Broken pipe

if anyone thinks they might be able to help, I'll be happy to send along
the source code.

I've discussed the problem with the folks at Hagstrom and they are
looking into it, but it is mostly  MS windows and they're not all that
familiar with how linux does all the internal usb stuff; neither am I
for that matter

Thanks
John W.