[vox-tech] dual-boot machine / vmware / SATA drives...

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at comcast.net
Mon Sep 25 20:57:33 PDT 2006

short:  You can run a virtual machine via VMWare using a raw drive on SATA.

long:  I have a laptop with a SATA drive.  The first partition is NTFS
running corporate windows xp.  Later partitions are for gentoo Linux.  I
have a dual-boot setup using grub.  Inside Linux I run a VMWare virtual
machine which accesses the NTFS raw partition.  When I boot the virtual
machine, I see my entire grub menu as if I were booting the computer
itself.  I just make sure I choose windows then, although if I
accidentally choose Linux, I simply get an error.  In windows I have two
"device profiles" one called "real" and one called "virtual".  I choose
virtual when I am running the virtual machine, of course.  When I set
this all up, I remember I had to manually hack one of the vmware config
files to make the SATA work.  You can find the info in the vmware
forums, I think.  The other problem that came up was the windows xp
authorization: it may think you have installed it twice due to the
greatly different device profiles.  Once I managed to get around that,
it hasn't bothered me since.  Now everything works seamlessly except for
some occasional networking issues.

Hope some of this helps.

Regards,
Jonathan